On March 14, voters in the Lake Pend Oreille School District are being asked to approve a Supplemental Instructional Levy that is critically important to the operations of our schools.
Important facts about the levy:
- This levy is a continuation of the supplemental instructional levies that voters have passed every two years for the past 17 years. It is NOT a new levy.
- It REPLACES the levy that expires at the end of this year.
- It is NOT another plant facility levy like the levy proposed last August.
- It is for TWO YEARS ONLY and is NOT a permanent levy. Any future levy must again be approved by the voters.
The proposed two-year levy will provide $8.3 million in 2018 and $8.7 million in 2019 for the district’s operations. This funding constitutes almost one-third of the school district’s operating funds. The levy will fund the following:
- One-third of all district staff; approximately 300 full-and part-time positions
- Sound class sizes and secondary electives
- All academic and athletic extracurricular activities
- Technology and all curricular materials, professional development
- Extended full-day kindergarten, Clark Fork experiential learning program, elementary counseling, and certified nursing assistant
Because this levy REPLACES the current expiring levy, it will cause only a tiny increase in taxes for homeowners in the district. The projected cost for a home with an assessed valuation of $250,000 and a state homeowner’s exemption will rise only 50 cents per month in 2018, and another 50 cents in 2019.Calculate your projected cost on the What Will the Levy Cost page»
What happens if the levy fails? There will be drastic cuts in staff, academic programs, technology, athletics and extracurricular activities. Click to see the cuts that will be required on the What if it Fails page»
The need is critical to continue our schools’ excellence in the education of our children. This levy helps ensure a bright future for our kids. The cost is modest. Please … join us in voting YES for the supplemental instructional levy on March 14!
For more facts, click to download and print our newsletter»